Reading Enrichment/Reading Seminar
Martino Jr. High
SEE GOOGLE CLASSROOM FOR ALL LINKS TO:
VIDEOS, ASSIGNMENTS, HOMEWORK
Mrs. Thulin Schedule 2020- 2021
Block 1/8- 8th grade ELA
Block 2/9- 8th grade ELA- Thulin & Mascarello
Block 3/4- 8th grade Reading Seminar- Thulin & Mascarello
Block 7/ 10-11- 8th grade ELA
*Best to reach me by email
1. When absent please check google classroom for all assignments and worksheets missed.
2. Google Classroom will house all important information.
1. Complete daily writing warm up exercises.
All warm ups will be completed in their notebook.
Monday- Memoir Mondays (6 word memoir of weekend)
Tuesday- Tweet it Tuesday (Tweet about given topic...)
Wednesday- Word Work Wednesday (Create Vocab Cartoon for a vocab word from the week)
Thursday- Tranquility Time Thursday (Take time to catch up or just be for 5 minutes)
Friday- Free Write Friday (Write for 5 minutes using the prompt given )
2. Complete annotations in workbook and complete unfinished classwork for homework.
Click here for example of an annotated text.
ALL INFORMATION AND TEXT CAN BE FOUND IN POWERSCHOOL under PEARSON MY PERSPECTIVES.
3. Check website and google classroom for homework and worksheets when absent or missed information in class.
4. Come in during advisory for extra help on grammar (diagramming), reading or writing work.
5. To see Agenda and worksheets go to google classroom
My Perspectives Workbook
1 small binder for grammar
highlighters- pink, green, yellow, blue
1. Complete assigned Wordly Wise workbook activities every week.
2. Study for Worldy Wise Quizzes.
3. Annotate the text with given sign posts throughout the year. Students will also be responsible for submitting 2 annotated pieces per trimester using sign posts from History or Science class.
4. Complete class work and homework to practice reading skills and book noting.
5. Check website and google classroom for homework and worksheets when absent or missed information in class.
6. Complete 2 comprehension assessments per trimester. These will be assigned and taken in class.
7. To see Agenda and worksheets go to google classroom
Once you are in, you will receive e-mails each time there is an
update to the stream. Make sure you log in at home on a computer, I-pad/tablet or phone.
Tests = 40% Wordly Wise vocabulary book
Quizzes = 35% 1 folder and 1 notebook
Homework/Classwork= 25% pen/pencil
1. The Reading Seminar curriculum focuses on the acquisition of vocabulary and the mastery of basic reading skills as applied to nonfiction.
2. Where traditional language arts classes focus primarily on the analysis of literary elements and comprehension of fictional novels and short stories, Reading Seminar classes focus on understanding and interpreting nonfiction materials such as essays, editorials, reviews, magazine and newspaper articles.
The goal of the Reading Seminar class is to improve all students’ reading comprehension by reviewing and practicing individual reading skills such as:
Identifying authors purpose and
Identifying main idea.
While reading students will be learning to note:
contrasts and contradictions
extreme or absolute language
numbers and stats
word gaps and
v Reading Seminar is a sixty-minute class that meets every other day. Students may not have the same teacher for reading enrichment as they have for language arts class.
v Students will be quizzed on one unit in their Wordly Wise vocabulary books every other week.
v Students will be given a Wordly Wise vocabulary book to take home, but all other reading materials and books will be kept in class.
v Students should expect some homework if the assignment is not completed during class.
v Studying for vocabulary tests will be the primary homework focus for students outside of class. The tests are challenging, and students are expected to study their vocabulary definition worksheet.
Click on this link to access the worldly wise quizlets
1. Remember to read the title, headings and subheading.
2. While reading highlight or underline
Red- Who are they talking about?
Yellow- What is the reading about?
Green- Why was this written or Why is it important?
Blue- Wow- Anything that interests you, surprises you or WOWS you
3. Circle any words or sentences that confuse you and then ask someone about them.
14. Lesson 14 Wordly Wise
15. Lesson 15 Wordly Wise
ACCESS CODE- Thulin5
WW Word of the Week-