Reading Specialist - Liberty Jr. High
Reading Seminar Class Overview
The Reading Seminar curriculum focuses on the acquisition of vocabulary and the mastery of basic reading skills as applied to nonfiction.
Where traditional language arts classes focus primarily on the analysis of literary elements and comprehension of fictional novels and short stories, Reading Seminar classes focus on understanding and interpreting non fiction materials such as essays, editorials, reviews, and magazine and newspaper articles.
The goal of the Reading Seminar class is to improve all students’ reading comprehension by reviewing and practicing individual reading skills such as establishing purpose, predicting, making inferences, evaluating and clarifying, finding main ideas, and using vocabulary in context, to name a few.
• Reading Seminar is a sixty-minute class that meets every other day. Students may not have the same teacher for reading seminar as they have for language arts class.
• Students will be quizzed on one unit in their Wordly Wise vocabulary books every other week. At least one comprehensive vocabulary test will be given per trimester.
• Students will be given a Wordly Wise vocabulary book to take home, but all other reading materials and books will be kept in class.
• Students should expect some homework if the assignment is not completed during class.
• Studying for vocabulary tests will be the primary homework focus for students outside of class. The tests are challenging, and students are expected to study their vocabulary definition worksheet.
• Students will be reading articles from Newsela and implementing close reading strategies.
• No novels will be assigned in this class.
Tests / Quizzes = 50%
Homework / Classwork = 40%
Definition Worksheet = 10%
Wordly Wise vocabulary book
loose-leaf notebook paper
Vocabulary Definition Sheet
Vocabulary Definition Worksheet
Did you forget your vocabulary definition worksheet at school? Were you absent and didn't get the new definition worksheet handout in class? Did you want to get a jump start on the upcoming vocabulary unit? Have no fear, your vocabulary definition worksheet is here! Click on the PDF file below, and print this worksheet to complete your definitions at home and turn in your homework on time! :)