Weekly Updates for Week of January 15-19, 2018:
- ART Week
- NO SCHOOL on Monday, January 15 (Martin Luther King Jr. Day)
- Scholastic Book Club Orders due (online or paper copy) by January 17
- Six Flags Read to Succeed Log due by February 16.
- Ice cream sold at lunch for $1.00 every Tuesday and Thursday for the year!
STAR OF THE WEEK:
Upcoming Student Birthdays
Jackson: January 22
Character Pillar of the Month: C A R I N G
Respect Pillar Award Winner: Abby B.
Responsibility Award Winner: Daniel J.
Caring Award Winner: Ava P.
Fairness Award Winner:
Trustworthy Award Winner:
Citizenship Award Winner:
READING: TEST: January 18th on the anchor text (tall tale): Why the Sea is Salty
Skills: (tested) Point of View, Legend genre, Theme
Vocabulary Words: Daily Benchmark Vocabulary Review: (wounds, tastier, preserve, mined, rough, chamber, crouching, measuring, puzzled, eagerly, wriggled, chuckled, plucked)
Quizlet link for story vocabulary: https://quizlet.com/251088104/why-the-sea-is-salty-flash-cards/
Story: Unit 2 Anchor Text: Why the Sea is Salty
Supporting Text: "How the Stars Fell into the Sky" & "Pecos Bill" and "John Henry"
Sleuth: "Cahokia: The Mystery Behind the Ancient City" & "The Strawberry: From Food to Fabric Softener"
BLOCK 1: LRC (LIBRARY) will be on THURSDAYS at 8:00 a.m.
BLOCK 2: LRC (LIBRARY) will be on THURSDAYS at 12:45 p.m.
Grammar: Subjects & Predicates
Writing: Narrative writing with dialogue
Spelling: NO SPELLING THIS WEEK
Please use online link below for Spelling City, that will help with this week's spelling words. Be sure to search "Kyriacopoulos" and click on the appropriate lesson number for the correct words for the week!
Click link for WONDEROPOLIS
Click link for Tour of the 50 States
Click link for Brain Pop!
ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS of the WEEK
1. Reading: Can you identify the setting in a text (where and when?) Can you determine the theme (author's central message)?
2. Language Arts: Are you able to write a fiction or nonfiction narrative, including character development with dialogue?
Contact Information: (815) 462-2870 ext. 5354 or firstname.lastname@example.org