Social Studies Chapter 1: Please study these notes for the Chapter 1 test as well as the study guide.
Created systems for writing
Agriculture- planted and raised food.
*this allowed the Mayan people to live in one place
Charted the sun, moon, and stars to create a calendar
Write 3 sentences about the video.
Irrigation- a system for bringing water to dry fields.
Culture- a set of beliefs and way of life that are special to a certain group.
Adapt- to change in order to survive the conditions faced.
*Scientists believe that the first people came to North America over a land bridge between Asia and North America.
Native Americans changed the land by:
- Digging irrigation canals
- In California, Native Americans burned shrubs so that grasses would grow. The grasses attracted deer.
- The Calusa people made an island out of shells
p. 19 Culture is: the way of life of a people. It includes their art, rules, beliefs, and history
p.20 Nomad- A person who moves often in search of food
p. 20 Role of women: making clothing and other household goods.
p. 21 Children: Native Americans treasured children and believed they had a special connection to the spirit world.
p. 23 League- formed by the Iroquois. A group whose members share the same goals.
p. 24 Religion: Many groups believed that animals and the earth had spirits.
Answer the essay questions:
- Give one example of a change in Native American life that occurred as a result of farming. P.6, p. 16
They were able to stay in one place for a long period of time. They were able to trade goods. No longer had to move to follow the bison.
- Give two examples of Native American economies that were based on their geography and environments. P.14
- The Plains people followed the bison. This provided food, shelter, and clothes.
- The Cherokee in the Southeast farmed and were expert hunters. This gave them food and tools. They were able to trade.
- The Makah and Nootka people depended on the sea. They were expert fishermen. This gave them food.
- The woodland people combined farming with hunting and gathering. This gave them food, supplies and could trade.
- The southwest grew food crops and cotton. This gave them food and clothing and they were able to trade.