Spencer Trail Kindergarten Curriculum
Click above to view and print the list of the sight words your kindergartener needs to know.
To view the Report Card please click above.
In the kindergarten curriculum, skills will be addressed at a time that is developmentally appropriate for the kindergarten child. Large group instruction, and cooperative learning all lead to a successful kindergarten experience.
- Kindergarten students will develop and understanding of phonics through the utilization of the Jolly Phonics Awareness: Phonemic Awareness is taught using Phonemic Awareness: The Skills They Need To Help Them Succeed! By Dr. Michael Heggerty. Students will also participate in guided reading through small group instruction. In guided reading groups teachers concentrate on decoding, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension skills.
- Using the "We Can Write" Program, students will be exposed to the 6 traits of writing.
- Kindergarten students will develop writing skills through the use of the Handwriting Without Tears Program.
- Utilizing Everyday Mathematics students will learn a number concepts including counting, graphing, numeral values & equations. Students will learn shapes, patterns and problem solving-skills.
- Students use concrete, hands-on experiences to understand science in the physical and natural world around them.
- Kindergarten students develop an awareness of, communities, cultures & citizenship.
- In kindergarten, students will have the opportunity to explore various art forms and art from other cultures.
- Kindergarten students move freely to music and use patterns in singing and movement.
- Students will learn how to obtain information and learn library expectations. They will also check out library books.
- The kindergarten students will learn and explore factors that contribute to a healthy lifestyle including gross motor skills, balancing and movement in games.
- The computer lab and classroom computers and/or tablets are used to integrate and develop technology skills.
- Utilizing the Whistlefritz Curriculum, students will be introduced to basic Spanish.